[WEB4LIB] Webmaster responsibilities

Joy Schwarz schwarz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG
Fri Jun 4 12:00:47 EDT 1999

Hi Katherine -

I heartily endorse having one contact person from your team work with the
design company, especially when it comes to submitting content and materials.

As someone who has developed Web sites for a number of nonprofit agencies, I
find that the only system that works for me is to work with only one contact
person from the agency.  Once (before I knew better) when this wasn't the
case, one person from an agency sent me the text needed for the navigational
buttons, and the next day I received an e-mail message from another person at
the agency suggesting different text.  This situation led to confusion over
which person's suggestions I should follow, and I asked the agency to instead
"duke it out" among themselves and then have one contact person let me
know what they decided.

Having one contact person is especially important if your contract with
the design company limits the number of changes and additions to the Web site,
or charges by the hour.

Best wishes,

Joy Schwarz                           |  Any sufficiently
Web Coordinator/I.L.L. Librarian      |  advanced technology
Winnefox Library System               |  is indistinguishable
Oshkosh, WI  USA                      |  from magic.
http://axp.winnefox.org               |      Clarke's Third Law
http://oshkoshonthewater.com                 Arthur C. Clarke

[snip]