[WEB4LIB] NETSCAPE AND IKIOSK

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Jun 2 09:37:48 EDT 1999

Marya,

This problem could be caused by a number of things but the two biggest
culprits to check are:

1.  The version of Netscape you are running:
Earlier versions of Netscape 4.x behave quite badly with Java.  I would
recommend upgrading to the newest version of Navigator -- 4.08 --  or
Communicator -- 4.6 -- to avoid this problem.

2.  System Resources
The machines you are using might be underpowered to handle running Java
applets in Netscape plus 2 security applications.  Probably anything below
32 MB of RAM is going to run into trouble.  If this is the case, you might
want to consider a RAM upgrade -- it is the cheapest way to improve
performance -- although if you are running old 486s or low-end Pentiums, you
might not want to put additional $$$ into a system that old.

If neither of these factors applies, I would try turning off one or the
other of the security applications to see if you can isolate the source of
the problem.

Good Luck!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician