[WEB4LIB] The next 5 years of web development

Bill Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Tue Jun 1 12:20:16 EDT 1999

One clear trend I see here on our campus is ubiquitous access to all
resources 24 hours a day from any location on and off campus.  The college
will have installed a gigabit backbone with multiple drops in each room on
campus.  The dorms will have a wired cyber lounge/cafe in each dorm with
wireless connectivity in each dorm room.  We will be completely wired and
wireless at the same time.  The library will have multiple wireless
transmitters to cover the entire library for those patrons and staff roaming
around with their laptops.  The library also has a cyberlounge with 24
ports. The wireless access is a lower speed than the wired network access
but should be sufficient for most typical uses leaving wired network access
for higher traffic functions such as CAD and other high end applications.
We are now a IBM Thinkpad University.  Laptops are being implemented program
by program with 600 - 700 more undergrad to be included this fall.  Please
don't ask me for details as I don't know them all.  I have already opted to
replace my desk top with a laptop.  I have been using the laptop exclusively
for three months now.  I am very happy with it and wouldn't go back to a
desk top for any reason that I can see.
Ubiquitous computing will definitely influence our web design and
development.  It will allow us to design services (finally)  that can be
optimized for a specific set of computers and software while still letting
those services be accessible for the general public.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
President, SUNY Librarians Association (SUNYLA)
E-mail: drewwe at morrisville.edu powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Voicemail:877-324-6289 Box # 607400110 (Toll Free)
Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
SUNYLA: <http://www.albany.edu/library/sunyla/>