Tuesday 1 June 1999 Meeting of LXNY: Planning for PC Expo

Don Saklad dsaklad at gnu.org
Tue Jun 1 11:13:06 EDT 1999

Forwarded From: secretary (a) lxny.org

LXNY will have a general meeting Tuesday 1 June 1999.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

The meeting runs from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm.  After the meeting full and
precise instructions on how to get to one of our traditional places of
refreshment will be given in clear.

Thanks to support of the IBM Corporation, the meeting is at their
building at 590 Madison Avenue at East 57th Street on the Island of
Manhattan.  Enter the building at the corner of Madison and 57th and
ask at the desk for the floor and room number.

This meeting is mostly an organizational meeting for volunteers who
wish to help educate the grand public and businesses and the mass
media that:

1. Free Software exists,

2. The foundation of the Net is Free Software, and

3. Free Software is better than Bound Software.

PC Expo, the large trade show put on by the Miller Freeman Group, will
be at New York's Javits Convention Center, starting 21 June 1999 and
running through 24 June 1999.  We invite all partisans of the Cause,
all for profit businesses and all not-for-profit organizations who use
Free Software to join LXNY in letting the world know the facts of the
case, our arguments in favor of Free Software, and our joy in using
and writing and sharing Free Software.

The Press today thirsts for our story.  Let us give them what they
want, as hot and heavy as they can take it.  Many businesses are today
both fascinated by and doubtful of the seeming paradox of cooperation
and competition among the people and the tribes of Free Software.  Let
us explain what we can of our world.  And finally, most home users of
computers do not yet know that today better OSes for what they do are
available at low cost.  Let us tell them.

At the PC Expo there will be a special pavilion called The Linux
Pavilion.  It is likely that this pavilion will be the first place
that the mass media go to find out about Free Software.  Let us make
sure that they get as much of the story, and as much right, as we are
able.

As always at general discussion meetings:

All who wish to volunteer to bring Free Software into schools and
libraries are invited.

All who wish to tell of successes of Free Software are invited.
All who wish to tell of failures of Free Software are invited.

LXNY will meet regularly the first Tuesday of each month at IBM
throughout 1999.  LXNY and its supporters thank IBM for the donation
of this meeting space.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary (a) lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

LXNY is an organization in support of the Free Software Movement, and
we welcome all supporters of free software, whether or not you run, or
even like, the Linux kernel, gcc, clisp, cmucl, gcl, cfengine, bc,
Bash, Bison, Yacc, COAS, Eddie, Emacs, Erlang, FreeDOS, Sather,
SmallEiffel, Jacal, apache, the FreeBSD kernel, chimera, fvwm,
xscreensaver, Octave, GNOME, Guile, gawk, Hello, Jikes, KDE, Perl,
Python, fortune, the Hurd, Gwydion's not-quite-Dylan, Ocaml, oleo,
XFree, Gamora, gdbm, gmp, gnat, gimp, gnuProlog, TeX, gs, gv,
Intercal, lilo, fips, mlos, rpm, mocka, procmail, PM, SIAG, siod, SCM,
SLIB, Screamer, Stalin, STk, sendmail, Squeak, SML/NJ, stBasic, units,
XXL, YAST, ZOPE, zsh, etc..

What is Free Software?  See
http://www.fsf.org