[WEB4LIB] Weird PC/WinU/WinSelect problem...

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jun 17 10:11:14 EDT 1999

Even in CASUAL security mode, WinU is still doing regular security checks.
You can reduce the frequency of these checks in the System Setup screen.
It sounds like WinU is trying to take center stage but getting stuck
somehow.

Another thing worth trying is clearing out the temporary file locations
(Netscape cache directory and the Windows temp directory) and
defragmenting the hard drive.  It's been our experience that WinU is
sensitive to messy drives and drives exposed to public use of Netscape get
very messy.

But your problem may be hardware related rather than software related.  We
had a similar sounding problem when we first put out WinU controlled
Pentium 233 workstations.  The workstation would seem to be fine for a
while and then start freezing and/or corrupting video memory and/or losing
network connectivity.  It turned out that the motherboard memory
management was not compatible with having the ethernet card in the first
slot:  move it to the second slot, problem disappears.

One tool I've found helpful for tracking down similar problems is PrcView
which is available free from:

http://www.teamcti.com/pview/

It will give you information about every process that is running under
Windows that is normally hidden from the view of mere mortals.  If your
problem is a conflict behind the scenes or overly zealous security
settings this might pinpoint it for you.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo