[WEB4LIB] RE: CD tower - one more step.

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Tue Jun 8 13:29:12 EDT 1999

Moderow, Kevin wrote:

> Map your drives only upon use.  Don't let Windows map the drives.
>
> For example, for a Trademarks or Patents CD ROM, create .bat file called
> Patents.bat consisting of:
>
> @ECHO OFF
>
> Net use x: /del /yes
> Net use x: \\Myserver\\Myfolder
>
> x:\Patents.exe
>
> The schortcut the patron clicks on calls Patents.bat not the EXE for the
> Patents CD.  Using a similar command sequence for other applications renders
> x available to an unlimited number of programs.

I don't think this is the problem that Gary is trying to address.
Though this is a recommended approach, this deals only with the client
end of things.  Gary's problem is at the server.  For example, if you
have 28 drives physically attached to an NT machine, unless you are
using special software on the server, not all of the drives will be
available.  NT will assign drive letters to the floppy, to all hard disc
partitions, and then to CD drives until the letters A-Z are used up.
Everything else will be ignored.  If you have the need to also map
network drives on the NT box, then you've got additional problems.

One of the things that NT or Netware-based CD management software does
(or should do) is consolidate all the drives under a single drive
letter.  Each individual drive appears as a subdirectory under the
single.  Though appearing as subdirectories, the individual drives can
be root mapped to accommodate those applications requiring it.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc.