[WEB4LIB] Computer Security Information Sources

Dan Marmion dan.marmion at wmich.edu
Tue Jul 27 06:32:59 EDT 1999

One place to start would be _Library Hi Tech_ vol. 15, nos. 1-2 (a
combined issue published in 1997).  It contains several articles
dealing with various aspects of computer security in libraries.
I should mention, in the interest of full disclosure, that one of
the
articles is mine, but it is probably not of interest to your
hypothetical manager, as it is about certain specific products.

==========================
Dan Marmion, Assistant Dean for
Library Technology and Systems
Western Michigan University
1201 Oliver Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5080
VOX: (616) 387-5239
FAX: (616) 387-5077
dan.marmion at wmich.edu
Editor: Information Technology and Libraries

>>> Donald Barclay <donaldb at library.tmc.edu> 07/26/99 03:00PM >>>
This is a bit off topic, but I think it will be of interest to
many
web4libbers.

Hypothetical situation: A senior/mid-level library manager needs to
learn
about computer security as it relates to libraries in general and
public-access computers in particular. This manager is neither a
computer
neophyte nor a systems expert. What books, CD-ROMs, or websites
would you
recommend for learning about the following topics?

     General computer security.

     Computer Viruses.

     Computer hacking.

     Other?

Thanks for any information on this.

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-       always the beautiful answer
Texas Medical Center Library           who asks the more beautiful
question
donaldb at library.tmc.edu                                   -- e. e.
cummings