[WEB4LIB] RE: Printing w/css

Jon Horstman horstman at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU
Wed Jul 21 11:55:45 EDT 1999

(Original Message: Some of our pages are controlled by styles sheets. I've had
a complaint
about them and I don't know how to correct it. It seems when you print
out the pages, the style sheets no longer control the layout. The
headings are no longer bold and all the text is the same size. Is there
some way to communicate the style sheet to the printer?
Also, a linked style sheet doesn't seem to work well with tables. I end
up using an embedded style sheet as well which takes a lot of extra
work. Anybody had experience with this?)

Someone asked for me to identify the pages that I have linked to a style sheet
so they can trouble shoot them. I haven't done a whole lot with the style
sheets yet, due to time limits and not getting out the bugs. But eventually I
want to control our whole site with them. For now I have experimented with two
sections of our website:
http://www.wcu.edu/library/online/index.htm (Only the pages under the heading
"Online Databases Arranged by:" are controlled by the style sheet) and
http://www.wcu.edu/library/research/govdocs/currentnews/index.htm (and any
pages listed in the pop up menu).

Mainly I just experiment with controlling the headings,  font sizes, and
margin. Below is one of the style sheets I'm using:

body {
   margin-Left: 2%;
   margin-right: 8%;
   background: #FFFFFF;
   font-family: Arial, Gillsans, sans-seriff;
   font-size: 0.8em;
   }

h1 {
   font-size: 1.4em;
   text-transform: uppercase;
   Letter-spacing: 0.1em;
   }

h2 {
   font-size: 1.2em;
   }

h3 {
   font-size: 1.1em;
   }

h4 {
   font-size: 1.1em;
   color: purple;
   }

div {
   font-family: Arial, Gillsans, sans-seriff;
    }

strong {
   font-style: normal;
   background: yellow;
   }

address {
   font-family: Arial, Gillsans, sans-seriff;
   font-size: 0.78em;
   font-style: none;
   }

P.S. I had included table tags in the style sheet at one point, but that
didn't seem to make any difference with text inside tables. It still didn't
respond to the style sheet.

Thanks for any help.
Jon

Michael Sauers wrote:

> > Some of our pages are controlled by styles sheets. I've had a complaint
> > about them and I don't know how to correct it. It seems when you print
> > out the pages, the style sheets no longer control the layout. The
> > headings are no longer bold and all the text is the same size. Is there
> > some way to communicate the style sheet to the printer?
>
> Please tell us the URL of the page and which browser you're using so those
> interested can check your code and do some testing.  Thanks!

>              Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
>          Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
>               Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
>          PGP public Key and other info available @
>               http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
>              The WWW Library Directory is @
>          http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
>
>   "Government did not become more responsive due to
>  online users; it just became more responsive to them."
>           -- Eli M. Noam, Columbia University
>          "Will the Internet Be Bad for Democracy?
>                       NetFuture #91
>
>   Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.

Jon Horstman/Webmaster
Hunter Library
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723 USA