DL'99 call for participation

AUDREY M JACKSON ajackson at library.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 9 17:47:52 EDT 1999

Are there no one-day conference registration prices?  I looked on the
website also but I could not locate any further information than what
you have in your email.  I also sent mail to Fox and Freeston but I
received no reply.   I would appreciate a response if anyone has an
answer.
Thank you.

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:25:56 -0400 (EDT) DL 99 <dl99 at cs.virginia.edu>
wrote:

> ADVANCE PROGRAM
> FOURTH ACM CONFERENCE ON DIGITAL LIBRARIES (DL '99)
> SPONSORED BY ACM SIGIR AND ACM SIGWEB
> AUGUST 11-14, 1999
>
> Radisson Hotel Berkeley Marina
> 200 Marina Boulevard
> Berkeley, California 93710 USA
> 1-800-333-333 or 1-800-243-0625
>
> Conference Web site: http://fox.cs.vt.edu/DL99/
>

> General Chair: Neil C. Rowe, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School
>   (rowe at cs.nps.navy.mil)
> Program Chair: Edward A. Fox, Virginia Tech
>   (fox at cs.vt.edu)
> Publicity Chair: James C. French, University of Virginia
>   (french at virginia.edu)
> Tutorials Chair: Gene Golovchinksy, Xerox FX Palo Alto Lab
>   (gene at pal.xerox.com)
> Workshops Chair: Robert B. Allen, University of Maryland
>   (rba at glue.umd.edu)
> Posters/Exhibits Chair: Jonathan Furner, UCLA
>    (jfurner at ucla.edu)
> Treasurer: Michael Freeston, University of California, Santa Barbara
>    (freeston at alexandria.ucsb.edu)
>

> Schedule
>
> Wednesday, August 11, 1999: Tutorials
>
> Registration 8-8:30
>
> Morning Tutorials (8:30-12):
>
> T1: "Practical Digital Libraries  Overview (Part 1)", Ian Witten
> (University of Waikato), ihw at rata.cs.waikato.ac.nz
>
> This introductory tutorial surveys both the major issues
> surrounding digital libraries and the practical technologies
> available today to build such libraries.  We will relate the issues
> to an existing, operational, comprehensive, economical digital
> library system, the New Zealand Digital Library.  Special attention
> will be paid to user interfaces for searching, as supported by a
> full-text search engine, and for browsing, as supported by
> explicitly provided metadata, handling of keyphrases, and the
> results of text mining.
>
> T2: "Multilingual Information Access", Judith Klavans (Columbia
> University) and Peter Schauble (Eurospider Information
> Technology AG), schauble at eurospider.ch
>
> With emerging globalization, information access across language
> boundaries is becoming critical.  This tutorial introduces the main
> approaches to multilingual information access, and presents the
> state of the art in detail with special attention to cross-language
> information retrieval.  We will also cover areas of information
> presentation, including multilingual multidocument
> summarization, and will discuss the acquisition and usefulness of
> various multilingual resources.  The tutorial will examine these
> issues from two points of view: information retrieval and
> computational linguistics.  Prototype and commercial systems
> and evaluation methodologies will be discussed.
>
> T3: "XML, RDF, and Metadata for the Web", Neel Sundaresan
> (IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose),
> neel at almaden.ibm.com
>
> Metadata is important to the World Wide Web for describing and
> processing web resources. The Resource Description
> [...]

Audrey M. Jackson
Head, UCLA Science & Engineering Library
8251 Boelter Hall, Box 951598
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1598
ajackson at library.ucla.edu (email)
310-8253398 (telephone)