[WEB4LIB] Re: 3D (VRML) Interface to IRCAM's Multimedia Library

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Wed Jan 13 08:15:01 EST 1999

Back to Roy's initial reaction (and my own, though I was coy about it): what
advantages does VRML  add to a library navigation interface? Is it helping
people get to resources? Is it helping to physically locate those resources?
Would it be better structured if users had a VRML movie appear AFTER
searching a "normal" interface for a resource, with the purpose being to
physically lead them to the appropriate area? Would this be any more helpful
than a more simply rendered floor plan?
But as a primary interface, what's the point of recreating the sensation of
being in a library and  stumbling around to find things?
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org