CHAT LINE ACCESS IN PUBLIC LIBRARIES

Marty Williams marwil at onkaparinga.sa.gov.au
Tue Jan 5 17:06:04 EST 1999

Hoping not to lead into the (urk) FILTERING discussion, I want to get an idea of the general consensus on allowing chat line access to public library patrons. I have a couple of reasons for this

Firstly we have  patrons who are abusing the free internet access we offer by persistent use of chat lines of an apparently pornographic nature. It is much more difficult to identify or police the 'no porn' policy when the offending material is in the form of text and not images - regardless of how the PC's are located.

Secondly we have recently been alerted by a 'neighbourhood watch' group to a case of a (US) law enforcer who established himself as a 14yo on a popular chat service and through subtle questioning found the address of a 'real' 14yo female. On identifying his plot to the girls parents they were shocked to know what their daughter had been discussing. Raises the question of whether parents signing authorisation for their under 18 to use the net know what they are indeed signing.

So - does anyone restrict / disallow access to chat lines or handle this issue in any way?

Or is it another service we offer 'warts and all' in the interests of human (or in the US case constitutional) rights?

Cheers

Marty Williams
Team Leader
Programs and Marketing