TALLY of responses for Internet/Library/Hispanic

Stephanie Stokes stephanie at friendcalib.org
Wed Feb 24 17:13:06 EST 1999

The following are responses to a request for
Spanish Links. As promised here is a TALLY of what
was 'copied' to me. Two had downloads and I have included
the contact info. If interested, request to have
sent to you directly.

Thanks to those who responded!
Stephanie Stokes
"Library Media & PR"
http://www.ssdesign.com/librarypr
415-749-0130 phone

I am attaching a copy of an article that I wrote for The
Consumer and Patient Health Information Service of the
Medical Library Association on service for Spanish-speaking
patrons. I hope that it will be useful for you. Please let
me know if you have a problem with the attachment. It is
in Word format.
    Barbara M. Bibel
    Reference Librarian
    Science/Social Science/Government Documents
    Oakland Public Library
    125 14th Street
    Oakland, CA 94612-4310
    (510)238-7171 FAX (510)238-6867
    bbibel at well.com

Attachment Converted: "C:\net\Service for Spanish.doc"
As the internet coordinator and instructor for the San
Mateo Public Library system in San Mateo California we
have many patrons of Hispanic origin.  I have a
"webliography" of sites which I share with my students
and patrons.  Listed below are a few of my most commonly
used and more popular ones:
http://www.latinolink.com   general, links, has free e mail

http://www.hispanstar.com---hispanic on line magazine

http://edb518ea.edb.utexas.edu/html/latinos.html
latino links by subject this one also includes gay hispanic
as well as politics religion

http://www.ONDANET.com/tejano/tejano.html---tejano music and links
I would like to suggest the Center for the Study of Books
in Spanish for Children and Adolescents.  The URL is:
http://www.csusm.edu/campus_centers/csb

Darmae Brown, Systems Coordinator
Aurora Public Library
14949 E. Alameda Dr.
Aurora, CO  80012
303-739-6622
I've attached the Escondido (California) Public Library Spanish links.

Attachment Converted: "C:\net\linkit.htm"

Laura Mitchell, City Librarian
Lmitchell at ci.escondido.ca.us

http://latinousa.org--music and news on radio and transcripts of this show

http://www.fronteramag.com  ---many links

http://www.hisp.com/links.html---every subject from music to research

I have many others, but these are the most useful for
families and teenagers...I hope these are useful

Louise Pasternack,  Reference
Internet Coordinator, San Mateo Public Library
55 West third ave
San Mateo, Ca. 94062
If you would like more please e mail me at
pasterna at pls.lib.ca.us

http://www.nyu.edu/acf/multilingual/
and http://www.acs.appstate.edu/dept/fll/freplaces.html (scroll down for
spanish page)

is a good link from my
http://www.dartnet.peachnet.edu/~dclib/DARLIB3.HTM#culture
darton library bookmarks page

Caryl Nemajovsky
Systems/Reference Librarian
Darton College
nemajovc at mail.dartnet.peachnet.edu

Stephanie, my online colleague, Isabel Danforth, forwarded this to me.  You
may be interested to know that there are two free Internet-based virtual
communities for Spanish language learning, one text-based and the other
multi-media.  The first is MundoHispano MOO (Multi-user domain,
Object-Oriented), and the second is PuebloLindo VIC (Virtual Interactive
Community).

You may learn about MundoHispano at its website:
http://web.syr.edu/~lmturbee/mundo.html

And PuebloLindo has a home site at:  http://pueblolindo.heinle.com and a
demonstration page and complete help files at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lonnieturbee/helpfile.htm

Both places are designed with the learner in mind, and PuebloLindo is
hyperlinked to activities on the Web.  Feel free to contact me if you need
to know more than what you find in their websites.

Also, would you be so kind as to share you final compilation of good Spanish
sites with me?

cheers,
Lonnie Turbee  <lturbee at syrlang.com>
founder/director MundoHispano and PuebloLindo
http://home.earthlink.net/~lonnieturbee/

Here are some sites for teachers whose students speak Spanish as their
primary language or for teachers who teach Spanish as a foreign language. Be
sure to check out the second link on the page "Especially Espanol" which
gives teachers activities to do with each of the links.

I am a former bi-lingual elementary school teacher and my colleague, Linda
Woods-Hyman, is a former public librarian. We put these links together to
help classroom teachers and public librarians  who serve Spanish-speakers.
We now offer free workshops on this topic and others for Pacific Bell.

http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/spanish

Beth Bustamante
Education Advocate
Pacific Bell Education Market Group
1010 Wilshire Blvd. , Room 800
Los Angeles, CA 90017

voice: 213-975-2217
page: 213-230-0702
bxbusta at msg.pacbell.com

From: Andra Addison <andra.addison at spl.org>

Seattle Public Library offers introductory Web classes in Spanish.
The contact is Ana Alvarez: 206-386 -4697.

We have had good luck with Yahoo Espana because a lot of patrons
prefer to work with Yahoo.  We offer a hispanic children's or
Lugares en Espanol para Ninos site at:
http://www.nsn.org/rlkhome/rlklib/espanol.htm

We also offer the link to the La Raza newspaper.
Currently I am working on an adult page for hispanics.

Linda Stoppenbach
lstoppen at ccs.nsls.lib.il.us
Reference Librarian
Round Lake Area Library