[WEB4LIB] Favorite HTML editor and page authoring software?

Mike Poulin mpoulin at ithaca.edu
Thu Feb 18 15:43:15 EST 1999

I have and use Allaire's Homesite.  Highly recommended.  Reasonably nice
interface and it does not change the code.  The only down side is that it is
that its graphics view mode is tied tightly to Internet Explorer not Netscape
and the college is a Netscape shop.

I have and don't use Macromedia's Dreamweaver.  It appears to have quite high
memory requirements and so is particularly slow on my 32 mb win 95 pc ( I know
just upgrade the memory).  I may find I use this more in the future as it is
well integrated with Homesite.

Before I had Homesite, I used NOTETAB which is a win95/nt text editor with HTML
extensions.  Free from www.notetab.com with a commercial version 9.95 and a pro
version 19.95.   Really nice.  Basically a BBEdit for PC.  It has extensions for
creating scripts (perl, java, other) but I have not used them.  Recommended even
if all you do is replace Notepad on your pc.

Mike
Michael Poulin
Systems Librarian
Ithaca College Library