[WEB4LIB] Converting from Word or WordPerfect to HTML

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Fri Feb 12 10:26:53 EST 1999

At 07:46 PM 2/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been given some Word and WordPerfect documents to put on the
>library's web pages, and I've found that the WordPerfect and other
>conversion programs I have seem to do a pretty wretched job of converting
>into HTML....
>Can anyone recommend a conversion program that does a smoother job of
>converting from the most common word processing formats into HTML?

We've actually started using Acrobat Distiller just yesterday.  No muss no
fuss, just print it to a file by way of a postscript printer driver, and
tell Distiller to convert it, and viola!  It comes out the other end as a
PDF.

It should be noted that a large part of the decision to publish the
particular set of documents in question (in this case, minutes from city
council meetings) is significantly influenced by the formatting of the
originals, which are all based on a style template which happens to be
particularly difficult to reproduce as HTML without some serious munging.

James