[WEB4LIB] Re: web publishing process

Bill Feidt wfeidt at nal.usda.gov
Thu Feb 4 10:53:32 EST 1999

I don't know that there's an easy answer.  More of a concern than bloat
though is the likelihood that non-standard HTML which works with current
browsers will cease doing so with future browsers.  Content producers run
the risk of being left with hundreds of HTML files that no longer display
properly, or possibly at all. The requisite cleanup effort could well be
daunting.

The HTML standard constitutes a channel of communication between those
writing HTML and those creating browser software.  The latter must make
certain assumptions about how HTML data will be presented and those
assumptions will likely be base on the standard.  If a content
producer doesn't observe the standard, there's a greater chance his
pages will not be rendered correctly by a future browser.

Whether HTML is created "manually" or using one of the HTML editors, it's
a good idea to run the finished product through a validator.  At least
then, you know what potential problems you're creating.  An excellent
validator is the "WDG HTML Validator":

  http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/validator/

Pesonally, I create the vast majority of my own HTML manually.  I do use
an editor (HTML Assistant Pro) from time to time, but only to help with
the insertion of tags, not to decide what tags to insert and where.

Bill Feidt
wfeidt at nal.usda.gov