[WEB4LIB] websense

Jean Heriot heriot at olywa.net
Fri Dec 31 13:18:47 EST 1999

Hmm - I must say I don't think websense is all that great - I've been
randomly blocked from places like the Tacoma News Tribune classifieds, web
pages about the Kalakala (a local ferry boat), and even once from a page on
search engines that had been compiled by a journalist.  And too many others
to keep track of in the heat of searching for some little bit of info.
(It's just another hassle, since I can telnet to my personal web account
and use lynx when pressed.)

None of the filters make sense to me - I've been told that some public
libraries using surfwatch are blocking my webzine kaspahraster - wherein I
have published authors whose books they buy for their collections (John M
Bennett, Richard Kostelanetz, John Zerzan, etc etc) and that other public
libraries block my review zine archive with cyberpatrol - there might be
some profanity in those pages but there's a lot more sex on prime time tv
than there is here!

Anyway, cheers and happy y2k from Olympia

-Jean
WSDOT Library
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hq/library

----------
> From: Shirl Kennedy <skenned1 at tampabay.rr.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Fw: Re: Staff Web Sites
> Date: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 8:08 PM
>
> Geez...
>
> Recently read Michael Schuyler's column, "Porn Alley: Now at Your Local
> Library," in the November/December Computers in Libraries
> (http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/nov99/schuyler.htm)
>
> He talks about making filtered PCs available at all of his library
system's
> branches.
>
> "We found one filtering program, Websense (http://www.websense.com), that
> does not appear to have a political agenda (many apparently do-I'm sorry
> there isn't room to discuss this in depth), and that allows us to filter
out
> porn, but nothing else. We've established, insofar as is possible,
"islands
> of refuge" in every branch where people can use the PCs with little fear
> they may stumble on pornography accidentally or be bothered by someone
next
> to them who went there intentionally. Easy to find and well-marked, these
> PCs are fully capable machines that simply stop the majority of
pornography
> from appearing. The database is updated early every morning. It doesn't
> catch everything and stops a few sites it shouldn't, but technically
that's
> the best we can do today."
>
> Guess we found one of those "few sites," eh?  John K., if he's reading
> Web4Lib, will unduobtably be amused.
>
> Shirl Kennedy (going back to Sopranos marathon on HBO)
> Web Doyenne
> City of Clearwater, FL
> http://www.clearwater-fl.com

Other