Significance of true electronic journals?

Walt Crawford Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Tue Dec 28 10:55:59 EST 1999

For my next book (and possibly for an article before that), I'm looking at the
track record of "true electronic journals''--that is, free Internet-available
publications that describe themselves as journals containing peer-reviewed
articles. Specifically, I'm looking at journals included in the 1995 ARL
directory of electronic journals, newsletters, etc..

If you--or someone at your institution--is in a position to gauge the
significance of journals within their field, you (they) could help out by
responding to a questionnaire, basically rating journals in terms of their
significance within their field (on a scale of 1 to 10). Because it's a fairly
long list (several dozen titles) and probably irrelevant to 90% of Web4Lib
subscribers, I've posted the questionnaire on my own Web site:

http://home.att.net/~walt.crawford/ejsig.htm

So far, this request has only been posted on Web4Lib. If you know of another
list that would be appropriate, please feel free to forward this message, or
send me a note suggesting the list (if it's open for outside posting).

Thanks!
Walt Crawford, RLG (but doing this research on my own time, as usual)