[WEB4LIB] Publishers and Web 'Reprints'

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Dec 27 13:29:16 EST 1999

At 06:04 AM 12/27/99 -0800, Chiara Fox wrote:

>We are looking into making a Web page that lists the policies of the
>publishers our scientists use most.  I'm envisioning a page that lists the
>publisher (ie: ACS), generally what they allow (Can post title, abstract,
>tables and figures), and a link to the publisher's Web page for more
>detailed information, when available.

I'd be hesitant about doing anything beyond linking to the publishers'
pages describing their policies.  If you get into summarizing or anything
else, you have potential liability exposure.  This exposure could be
extended if it was a public page instead of on your intranet.  You're also
committing yourself to keep the summaries up to date.  Finally, some
authors may have negotiated agreements that differ from the standard.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165