More MS sabatoge of Netscape?

Alicia Abramson abramson at libraryserver.lib.csus.edu
Wed Aug 25 12:26:05 EDT 1999

Has anyone else experienced difficulty viewing Microsoft sites with
Netscape browsers?  I have Netscape 4.61 and it keeps loosing it on the
MSNBC web site.  Specifically, I loose the ability to click on hypertext
links (I can click, but the new page isn't opened), and closing and
re-opening the browser doesn't solve the problem--I have to restart the PC.
 I do have the necessary MS plugins for this site.

Also, earlier in the summer, one day I suddenly lost the ability to search
the Microsoft support site --the pull down menus and text entry boxes just
didn't appear on the screen.  That seems to be resolved, for now, by
upgrading to the latest version of Netscape.

Does anyone have any information about known bugs with Netscape and MS ASP
pages?  Since Microsoft seems to be providing ever more content on the Web,
if it is a purposely built in incompatibility, it would seem users are
forced to use Internet Explorer to view these sites.  Of course this poses
a problem for libraries--the choices seem to be, just use IE on public
terminals, or constantly upgrade Netscape as these incompatibilities are
discovered.

Last, it seems disingenous to me for Microsoft to be making a case for
"open standards" when it comes to instant messaging at the same time as
they are constantly thwarting HTML standards.

Alicia Abramson
Director, Library Information Systems
University Library
California State University, Sacramento