Organizational issues in website maintenance

Wally Babcock wbabcock at citrus.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 13 21:44:43 EDT 1999

Folks, I've done some searching of the web4lib archives and my accumulated
messages from the list, and haven't found very much discussion of the
organizational approaches (and issues) involved in library website
maintenance. It seems pertinent to me, so I'm going toss out a few
questions to give you an idea of the sort of issues I'm interested in.
Others may well surface during the discussion.
(I'll have limited email access for the next two weeks, but will be glad to
eventually summarize results if there is sufficient discussion/interest.)

1. How many people are involved in maintaining the content for your
library's website (or sites)? How would you categorize the types of
involvement various people have? How many actually maintain web pages
(nitty gritty coding)? What sort of staff training did you do, if any?
2. How many, and what kinds of committees are involved?
3. How have you maintained accountability/oversight/quality? Is
responsibility for maintenance of all pages clear? Are effective mechanisms
in place to make sure your content is accurate and up to date?
In short:
4. What organizational approaches have you tried that worked?
5. What approaches didn't work?

War stories welcome. If you wish, send "off the record" comments directly
to me and I will not quote or paraphrase without asking permission first.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Wally

Wally Babcock
Reference/Computer Services Librarian & Library Webmaster
Rivera Library, UC Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521
Voice: (909) 787-5121   Fax: (909) 787-3285 [Attn: Rivera Reference]
Email: wbabcock at citrus.ucr.edu