Ramification Issues of Embedded Multimedia E-Journals

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat Aug 7 15:49:53 EDT 1999

                              _Ramification Issues of Embedded Multimedia E-Journals_

   Over the next several weeks I will be considering and researching the issues relating to the ramifications / consequences / requirements of embedded multimedia in electronic journals for libraries and institutions. I have sketched the following outline of these issues and would very much appreciate my colleague's review of these as well as suggestions for other issues not included.

I. TECHNICAL

    Installation of Plug-Ins
   Maintenance
   Retrieval  / Access
   Downloading

II. FINANCIAL

   Equipment (e.g. multimedia workstations)
   Cost
   Labor
   Time

III. PROFESSIONAL

    Cataloging (e.g. cataloging of multimedia edition
    vs. non-multimedia edition of journal)

    Reference (e.g., user-assistance /interpretation)

IV. COOPERATIVE

     Interlibrary Loan (e.g. 'document' delivery of
       multimedia e-article)

V.  PREPARATION / PRODUCTION

    Author training and skills
    Institutional infra-structure
    Publisher capability

VI. ARCHIVAL

    Technical
    Financial
    Management

     I would also appreciate citations to *any* and *all* literature that address these issues in a general sense, i.e. the management, etc. of conventional multimedia applications in libraries.

     This outline as well as relevant literature will  be used to prepare two articles for submission this Fall, and will complement M-Bed(sm) my recently-established registry of embedded multimedia e-journals available at

                   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm

   As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, queries, critiques, are Most Welcome.

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

                                           "Words still have ... primacy,
but they can be illuminated by images and moving pictures and by numbers and by sounds."
               Tom Wilson / "In the Beginning Was the Word ..." ELVIRA2: 1