[WEB4LIB] CSS or DHTML?

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:55:14 EDT 1999

At 11:56 AM -0500 4/22/99, Bill Drew wrote:
>Seems to me that JavaScript combined with CSS should be able
>to do this.  I know how to do this using mouse rollovers for images combined
>with client side mapping.  That is too slow because of the time it takes to
>down load images.  Are there any examples out there?   This would be used in
>conjunction with a browser detector script to ensure appropriate access for
>all users.

You can do it with a combination of CSS to position and view/hide <div>
elements (aka layers) and JavaScript to trigger said viewing/hiding. Here
are some articles explaining the technique. Both sources accommodate both
Netscape and IE   (4.x), but you'll have to do your own
backward-compatibility.

"Dynamic Tooltips"
http://www.webreference.com/js/column16/

Dynamic HTML Articles
http://www.irt.org/articles/dhtml.htm
(especially nos. 87-89)

We may be using this technique to show annotations for menu entries,
assuming we can accomodate non-CSS/JavaScript users and maintain validated
HTML and CSS. It could be hard to account for users with older versions of
JavaScript that don't support the fancy layering tricks.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison