[WEB4LIB] RE: PC-based web server

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sun Apr 18 18:26:34 EDT 1999

At 07:04 AM 4/18/99 -0700, JQ Johnson wrote:
>This seems particularly true for NT-based servers, where Microsoft data has
>found a 10x difference in downtime between systems, largely depending on
>whether the system was an "approved" hardware platform.

My experience is limited compared to many of you in this arena.  However, I
can report that we have two NT4 servers running as webservers with O'Reilly
Website, and neither has ever gone down for either hardware or software
failures.  Both are HP servers, one with PentiumPro, other with
PentiumII.  One has been in service for 1.5 years, the other for 2.5
years.  Each is rebooted each Monday morning at about 0630, which takes it
down for about two or three minutes.

I know that HP makes quality gear, and they are, I believe, a "Microsoft
Business Partner".  What any of that proves, I'm not sure.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165