Web sites for library staff

Julie (Julie James) Julie at KCLIBRARY.ORG
Tue Apr 13 11:32:38 EDT 1999

I have seen this expressed several times:

> We don't restrict access and don't include any sensitive information
> on the site. It's not linked to from our main web site, though, so you
have
> to know about it to find it.

That ain't necessarily so if your site is indexed by search engines. I was
using a general search engine recently to look for info on a library, and
the library's Staff Web came up in the search several times  BEFORE their
public site.

A robots.txt files does a reasonable job of protecting servers and
directories from unwanted indexing.
See http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/norobots.html for more
info and examples.

-=-