[WEB4LIB] Web-based intranet email

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Thu Apr 8 16:17:18 EDT 1999

> Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:26:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Don Yarman" <yarmando at netra.clc.lib.oh.us>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> Subject: [WEB4LIB] Web-based intranet email
>
> Does anyone know of (or better yet, is anyone using)
> a Web-based email system for a local network?  I'm
> thinking of something like a local Hotmail, an intranet
> page that the staff can go to, log in, and do their
> email stuff.

Someone mentioned EmuMail.  It is one of a number of commercial
contenders in the field.  Other names I've heard include @Mail,
DwebMail, EdgeMail, MailMan... the list goes on.

There are a bunch of free ones, too, including:

        AnyEMail
        http://netbula.com/anyemail/

	AtDot
	http://www.atdot.org/

        IMP
        http://web.horde.org/imp/

I seem to have misplaced the name of one other free one that was under
serious consideration here.  Nor have I found a good resource listing
these web-based mail servers -- it should be a category in Yahoo, for
instance, but doesn't seem to be.  Hmm.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle