[WEB4LIB] Web-based intranet email

bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Fri Apr 2 14:18:41 EST 1999

I explored this quite recently for our small public library (staff of 15)
where we have a POP/SMTP server running on Novell 3.12 and
most of our workstations are NT or W95 on an NT 4.0 network.

I looked at several packages including: Emurl, EmuMail, WebMail
and eventually settled on WebMail at $349 for a 25-user license. I
got them from the TUCOWS and Dave Central
(www.davecenral.com) archives.

All of them do the "local Hotmail" thing in conjunction with an
existing POP/SMTP.  WebMail includes its own an SMTP server
as well.  They all seemed reasonably fast and secure.  The
interfaces were all pretty decent and very "Hotmail-like".  My less-
than-computer-literate staff have adapted to this pretty quickly.

I initially tried EmuMail with an old copy of O'Reilly Website -
couldn't get it to work and defeated all efforts by their tech support
to make it work (it would send and receive mail, it just wouldn't
display the message text).  I give their tech support for really
working with the problem even though I was just using the demo.

Later, a new server running MSIIS 4, I tried it again.  Same
troubles.  They had a new release coming out that they thought
would fix it, but I couldn't wait.

I then tried Emurl which as I recall was about $400 for the lowest
level license.  That too would not run on either of my web servers.
Their tech support was willing to try to fix it, but I was getting tired
of such things.

Finally I tried WebMail from Infinite Technologies.  It worked "out of
the download" without any problems, though you do need to
specify an alternate port if you're running it on the same machine
as a web server.  When I did have some address book problems
later on, they were able to fix it quickly for me.  Their sales team is
fairly aggressive though - they called me within an hour of
downloading the demo and kept calling throughout the trial period.

The EmuMail and Emurl problems were both pinned down to
security permissions on specific directories for those of you who
might be curious.

Please contact me directly if I can be of further help.

Bobb Menk
Lane Memorial Library, Hampton NH
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us