[WEB4LIB] Re: Filtering activist claims libraries ignoring FOI

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Apr 7 11:12:11 EDT 1999

At 07:36 AM 4/7/99 -0700, Filtering Facts wrote:
>>This might be more interesting or compelling if there were info on just
>>WHAT was being requested.  Are they requesting circulation records,
>>anecdotal evidence, official complaint forms, or something else?
>>

>Why don't you read the two URLs related to the article.  They answer your
>questions.
>http://www.freedomforum.org/press/1999/4/6burt.asp
>http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm

NO, David.  I'm responding to YOUR posting.  I'm not responding to some
URL.  If you post something, it is up to YOU to post complete and accurate
information.  Sure, you indicated you snipped.  I'd hope that a
professional would choose to post only the most informative, useful and
relevant information.  Therefore, you need to stand behind what YOU post,
not dump the responsibility off on someone else.  If all you wanted to do
was to inform us of a web site, you could have done that with one or two
lines indicating the type of information that was available at that
URL.  I've done that kind of things many times, and am thus informing
people of the existence of something, without posting information that by
my posting of it puts me in a position to have to defend it.

>We're not talking about "a survey", Dan, were talking about *a matter of
>law*.  In nearly all these states, gov. agencies, including libraries, *are
>required* to respond to FOI requests, even if that's a "no we don't have
>any" or "no, we won't give 'em to you".  It's a matter of law.

Aaahhh, but even if it IS a matter of law in some states, no librarians
worth their salt will respond to a legal issue without legal advice.  When
I was director of an academic library in another state I had a police
officer come in with what he said was a court order and that I was to show
him certain records.  I referred him to the college legal counsel to advise
me on what to do, as I wouldn't know a genuine court order from a phony
one.  When a couple of days later I was informed by counsel that I should
do certain things, I did them.  The officer wasn't happy with me, but I was
doing my job, just as he was doing his.

>Again, RTFM, Dan.  I asked in my request that names be removed.  No

Gee, I don't see any "manual", David. And I assume that in YOUR version of
RTFM the F refers to "Fancy", right?

>names,
>address, etc., no privacy issue.  End of story.

Nope.  As above, I'd not do any provision of information without legal
counsel telling me to do so.  I'd be a fool and risking my job to do otherwise.

> Are you arguing that if a
>library doesn't like the "sound bites" that might be produced by the release
>of record they should fight it out in court?

I'm arguing that librarians should do what legal counsel tells them to
do.  I'm also suggesting that libraries get plenty of junk mail that nobody
reads.  I'm also suggesting that in at least some libraries, anything
coming from FF.org or AFA will automatically, if accidentally, fall into
the round file or be lost in the mail.  As such, if you want to play legal
games, be prepared to play by legal rules before you get all excited about
the results.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165