[WEB4LIB] Filtering activist claims libraries ignoring FOI requests

Filtering Facts burt at northwest.com
Wed Apr 7 10:44:05 EDT 1999

Dan Lester wrote:
>At 09:09 PM 4/6/99 -0700, Filtering Facts wrote:
>>Filtering Facts founder David Burt says his effort to discover problems
>>public libraries face with patrons who access online pornography has been
>>stifled by refusals to comply with his freedom-of-information requests.
>
>This might be more interesting or compelling if there were info on just
>WHAT was being requested.  Are they requesting circulation records,
>anecdotal evidence, official complaint forms, or something else?

Why don't you read the two URLs related to the article.  They answer your
questions.
http://www.freedomforum.org/press/1999/4/6burt.asp
http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm

>>According to Burt's report, "Dangerous Access: The Epidemic of Pornography
>>in America's Public Libraries and the Threat to Children," 293 libraries
>>ignored
>>his request.
>
>Anyone who does a survey and gets over fifty percent response should be
>stunned and amazed at the results.  This should be particularly the case
>for a survey apparently being conducted by a group with an ax to grind.

We're not talking about "a survey", Dan, were talking about *a matter of
law*.  In nearly all these states, gov. agencies, including libraries, *are
required* to respond to FOI requests, even if that's a "no we don't have
any" or "no, we won't give 'em to you".  It's a matter of law.

>>Nearly all of the 15 public libraries that refused Burt's request cited
>>state law protecting library-patron confidentiality.
>
>Well, if he asked for patron records he sure wouldn't get any in over forty
>states.
>
>>Burt has enlisted legal assistance from the American Family Association to
>>force the libraries to disclose the information he seeks.
>Hey, I'd welcome them taking on the AG of Idaho on  that issue.  No court
>order, no records produced.  Period.   Same as most states.

Again, RTFM, Dan.  I asked in my request that names be removed.  No names,
address, etc., no privacy issue.  End of story.  Are you arguing that if a
library doesn't like the "sound bites" that might be produced by the release
of record they should fight it out in court?

David Burt	President, Filtering Facts
Website: 	http://www.filteringfacts.org
E-Mail:  	David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Phone/Fax:	503 635-7048