Patron Technophobia

Polly Trump PTrump at ci.sat.tx.us
Thu Apr 1 10:53:41 EST 1999

The San Antonio Public Library has a Training Department that includes two
full-time Electronic Resources Trainers.  We each have an MLS and have
worked as reference librarians.

We usually offer about 20-25 classes per month in our training room at the
Central Library where we have 19 computers.  Most classes are offered
between 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. weekdays, and we usually offer classes on
two Saturdays each month as well.  We also try to go out to branches several
times a month to offer demontration classes (no training labs there).  The
City has  joined with a local school district to use school computer labs in
the evenings and we offer 6 classes per week in these labs.  All classes
last 90 minutes.

Here is a sample class offering:

 "Meet the Computer"  - students can see the insides of a CPU and  monitor,
learn about different keyboard possibilities, and take a mouse tutorial

Internet Basics - students learn to read a URL, learn how to get to a
specific page for which they have the URL,  learn how to use the navigation
buttons on their browser, and get an idea of the kinds of information they
might find on the Web

Search the Internet - focuses on using search engines and developing search
strategies

We also offer other classes about finding specific topics (e.g., travel,
health & medicine, genealogy, buying a personal computer, etc.) on the Web
and e-mail classes.

Meet the Computer and the Basics and Search classes are the most popular and
are often standing room only.  Average class size for the other classes is
about 8.  Most of our students are senior citizens and are very grateful for
the oppotunity to lose their technophobia.

Polly Trump
Polly Trump
Electronic Resources Trainer
San Antonio Public Library
600 Soledad Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone:  210/207-2563     Fax:  210/207-2508
ptrump at ci.sat.tx.us

Visit our Web page at http://www.sat.lib.tx.us