[WEB4LIB] Re: Future of HTML

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:45:43 EDT 1999

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> No offense, but this canard has been trotted out too many times in too
> many CSS threads to have any merit.  CSS was designed from the ground up
> to be completely transparent to browsers that don't support it.

Thanks, Thomas.  This is a piece of what I was getting at w/ my question
yesterday.  I've not delved much into CSS yet.  Most of our main pages
(down one level ) do or at one time did validate to 3.2.  I've just been
thinking lately about whether we want to get yet one more plate spinning
in the air this summer w/ a move to CSS.

We run glimpse on our website every night to index the apache directories,
so I know that we have over 7000 files sitting in /apache/.
Admittedly, many of them are images, orphan files, etc., but that's still
alot of html. I'm *assuming* that it is quite a task to move to 4.0. I
gues it comes down to a decision of expending labor vs. having much more
typographic freedom w/ CSS. And in our library we're, like SeanD said
yesterday, mostly static w/ these pages...no bell, whistles, multimedia
gig going on here.  Just the facts....

Thanks.

John Creech, Central WA University Library