[WEB4LIB] spelling conventions

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafvax.lafayette.edu
Wed Sep 30 15:33:46 EDT 1998

At 12:33 PM 9/30/98, Kevin W. Bishop wrote:
>This is something of a silly question, but what is the convention?
>
>Internet / internet
>Web / web
>Webpage / webpage // Web page / web page
>Website / website // Web site / web site

While I wouldn't take this as definitive usage, the W3C has the following
text (from the Head of Communications) on their site: "...simplifies
Website maintenance, promotes Web page accessibility, and makes the Web
faster."  <URL:http://www.w3.org/> (09/30)

Website but Web page. Go figure. Maybe one's to be used when referring to
pages coded according to HTML3 and the other's to be used for pages coded
according to HTML4? ;)

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  Systems Librarian