[WEB4LIB] RE: spelling conventions

Walter Minkel walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Wed Sep 30 14:39:11 EDT 1998

Folks-- Two of us in this department have recently contributed to books
published by ALA Editions and Neal-Schuman, and the editors there insist
on "Web site" as two words. One thing I've seen fairly frequently, though,
is "Web site" (Web capitalized) and "website" (lowercase) in the same
place. Where are the proactive lexicographers to settle the issue? 8-{)>
--W

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Bero, Stephen wrote:

> IMHO: Just as countries, cities, bodies of water are capitalized the Internet and the World Wide Web as "locations" in cyberspace should be capitalized.
>
> I favor writing compound nouns as one word where feasible, especially where only two component words are involved, e.g., desktop, toolbar, workstation, and hence Website and homepage.
>
> You may find the following book useful, if not necessarily authoritative.
> Wired Style: Principles of English Usage in the Digital Age, from the editors of Wired and edited by Constance Hale (HardWired 1996, ISBN 1-888869-01-1).
>
> Stephen P. Bero
> Head of Technology Services
> Rolling Meadows Library
> 3110 Martin Lane
> Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008-2698
> Vox (847)259-6050 ext. 137
> FAX (847)259-5319
> mailto:sbero at rolling-meadows.lib.il.us
> WWW http://www.rolling-meadows.lib.il.us/
>
> The most basic and universal of all human enterprises is the storage, processing, and retrieval of information. -- adapted from Lewis Thomas

Walter Minkel, School Corps Technology Trainer
Multnomah County Library, 205 NE Russell St., Portland, OR 97212
Voice (503)736-6002; fax (503)248-5441; walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us