[WEB4LIB] TAN Patron computer printing

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Tue Sep 22 11:38:56 EDT 1998

At 08:20 AM 9/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>We are setting up networked printers for our public computers and want a
>simple program that will prompt the user for their name to identify their
>printout from other patrons'.  . . .

Forgive me if this is overly simplistic - but - all you need is a way to
seperate and identify print jobs\printouts - why not just identify and
label each station (Station 1, Station A, whatever) if you have not
already. Then, put that same information into the banner of the respective
printers  - and enable banner. If you really want to seperate the jobs you
could also enable form feed.  This would begin each print job with a 'cover
sheet' and end it with a blank page.  Although this last step could result
in a lot of wasted paper depending on the number of printouts.

The printout comes out with a  'cover sheet' identifying it as being from
Station X  -- the patron looks at their machine and sees that they are
sitting at Station X -- and goes and picks up the appropriate printout.

That worked for us.  We have recently had to start charging for printing so
we use Q-View to put everything on hold until the patron is ready to pick
it up.  But even there the print jobs are identified by station number -
not names.

I know using names is more 'personal' but -- is there something else in
your question that I am missing?
Paul H. Gray, Learning Resources Manager	Phone:  (817)515-6623
TCJC Northeast LRC				Fax:    (817)515-6275
828 Harwood Road				E-Mail: phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Hurst, Texas 76054