[WEB4LIB] Per View E-Journal Article Services

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Tue Sep 22 12:09:51 EDT 1998

You might want to take a look at the Michigan/Elsevier
"pricing field trial" called PEAK (Pricing Electronic Access to
Knowledge). It's an experiment that's going on now
involving ten university libraries and two corporate
libraries, to determine pricing/licensing/subscription
models libraries might prefer. It's not open to any libraries
other than the trial participants at this point, but they are
studying three licensing/pricing options for electronic access to
Elsevier journals:

1. Per article -- Pay by the drink.
2. Traditional subscription -- i.e., subscription by title.
3. Generalized subscription -- sort of a "pay by the six
    pack" version of #1 above, with free refills.  :-)

You can get more details from the 8/14/98 issue of the
Chronicle of Higher Education (pp. A21-A22), or from the
PEAK website: http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/peak

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895