Internet computer problems

MZaruba malp at startext.net
Thu Sep 10 20:12:09 EDT 1998

You are all so great to help when I need it & I'm hoping you can once
again rescue me.

I have a Windows 95 stand-alone Internet PC that got a new modem (Parrot
56K DSVD Modem) within the past week.  I don't know if that has anything
to do with the problem or not.  This computer now has problems
connecting to the Internet & I get error messages like:

Netscape is unable to connect to your proxy server.  The server may be
down or may be incorrectly configured.  Please verify that your proxy
preferences are correct & try again or call the server's administrator.

For e-mail:

A network error occurred:  unable to connect to server (TCP error:  Not
enough memory)  The server may be down or unreachable.  Try connecting
again later.

I know why I am getting the above messages & I can easily fix it, but I
want to know why the machine is changing my internet settings.  The two
that are being changed are:

1.  In Netscape Communicator in the Preferences section of the Edit
pull-down menu, under Advanced, Proxies, the computer is changing from
"Direct connection to the Internet" to "Manual proxy configuration."

2.  In the control panel, under Internet (preferences), Connection, it
is checking the box that says "Connect through a proxy server."

Our ISP does not use a proxy server.  No other software has been changed
recently.  I can be using this computer, hang up & come right back to it
& one or both of those settings have changed.  I feel like I have lost
control of the computer.  The tech support office is frustrated & can't
understand it.  Can a modem do this?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Marilyn Zaruba
Mansfield Public Library