citing URLs

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 9 19:52:45 EDT 1998

>   was published 8/17/98 at  URL:
>chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/story/story_2432.html

I'm not a cataloger, so I suppose I don't really have the qualifications
to pick such nits, but the above is not a URL.  It does not include the
"access method" and associated punctuation (presumably in this case
http://, but perhaps ftp:// or https:// or something else).  As a
practical matter, not including the FULL URL in your messages means that
people with web-enabled email systems normally can't just click on the
link in your message.  As a style matter, it's important to provide all
the citation information people may need, which includes the access
method.