WebForms revisited

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Wed Sep 9 18:49:51 EDT 1998

Thomas Dowling pointed out that .  "If you don't have CGI scripting
experience, there are scripts to handle this "e-mail form input to address
X" process; there are off-the-shelf versions that can be installed on your
server, and even remote versions that you link to on the net."

I think we may need to use one of these "remote versions that you link to".
Our director wants to put up a community survey on our webpage, part of a
major planning process; but the city's computer guys say our web pages do
not reside in a machine equipped to handle PERL, and the pages are moving
soon to another machine so they aren't going to touch any of the
arrangements now even if I offer to find a model script and (learn how to)
modify it and generally do all the work if they'll let me. (I may have the
details a little wrong, but basically they said, "No, go away."

I have located several remote mailto sites that seem to work with a little
dummy form I've put up in our page space. The director will get what she
wants--the survey form residing in our own web pages--and the input will be
assembled by the remote script and arrive to my mailbox (or the director's
;-)

Here is the question: is there any reason why we really ought NOT to do it
this way? Privacy issues for people filling out the form? Whatever?  Has
anyone had any experience sending form output to one of these sites for
reals and not just as a test? Any particular site to recommend?

Thanks much.

Miriam Bobkoff                        mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Santa Fe Public Library
145 Washington Avenue