[WEB4LIB] Re: IE4: reset content supervisor password?

Gair Helfrich helfrich at po.atlantic.county.lib.nj.us
Thu Sep 3 15:24:35 EDT 1998

There is a way to do this.  I will be happy to fax step by step
instructions to anyone who requests them. Be sure to include your fax
number.   Once we removed the password set (un)intentionally by the patron,
we then set one of our own, so that this would not happen again.
_____
Gair Helfrich			609-641-1778
Community Librarian		609-641-0771 (fax)
Atlantic County Library		helfrich at po.atlantic.county.lib.nj.us
132 W. Washington Ave.
Pleasantville, NJ 08232

----------
> From: Shane Miller <shanem at starvision.net.au>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: IE4: reset content supervisor password?
> Date: Thursday, September 03, 1998 4:10 AM
>
> I am running Win98 on the desktop, but I don't expect it will differ much
> in the way it deals with Content Ratings from Win95.
>
> I took a copy of my registry and started IE4.  I then added a supervisor
> password and enabled ratings within IE.  I took another copy of the
> registry and compared them.  The key that was different was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Rating

> s\Key
>
> I suggest that if you delete the key "Key" that your ratings are disabled
> (because the supervisor password was deleted).  I did also notice a
change
> in a file in the %windows%\System directory, this file is MSIN1964.RHC
the
> file size remained the same, but the contents of the file changed.  I am
> not sure if this change was relevant.
>
> Perhaps you could report back your results?
>
> Cheers
> Shane Miller
>

> At 12:10  3/09/98 -0700, Bin Zhang wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We have a public workstation (Windows 95) with IE 4.01 installed.
Someone