New search engine -- with filters

Debi Westwood westwood at spl.org
Wed Oct 21 19:50:19 EDT 1998

Fellow Web4Lib-ers:

This timely notice just came my way, The people who bring (some
of) you Bess, the filtered ISP are now offering a filtered search engine.
I did some quick experimenting with it on topics like "breast cancer",
"gay teens" and even "Spice Girls" and got some decent hits. Seems like an
interesting option for folks trying to avoid nasty surprises.
My one concern is that I didn't see anything notice on their pages that
explains that one's search is filtered.
The closest I could find was a paragraph on the Help page that
describes Searchopolis as delivering "the Internet to students,
teachers, and families exactly the way you want it".
One more option to consider.

                                       Debi Westwood
                                       Seattle Public Library