*** IFLANET site address changes to www.ifla.org ***

Terry Kuny Terry.Kuny at xist.com
Mon Oct 19 13:28:29 EDT 1998

           Change of IFLANET Web site address:

       www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/ becomes www.ifla.org

---Why a change in domain name?---

IFLANET is the Web site of the International Federation of
Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA). Early in
1998, IFLANET Administration registered www.ifla.org as
an Internet domain name to more closely identify
IFLANET's address with the organization itself. This new
domain name is now to be considered the primary address
of IFLANET, replacing www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/. The old
address reflected the fact that IFLANET was stored in a
sub-directory of the National Library of Canada's Web
server. With the registration of the ifla.org domain,
IFLANET moved to its own "virtual" Web server at the
National Library, which has the address, www.ifla.org.

The National Library of Canada's continued support and
hosting of IFLA's electronic services is gratefully
acknowledged.

---When will the change take place?---

Both addresses currently work, but this will only be true
until November 2nd, 1998. At that time, all requests to
www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/ will be redirected to a page describing
how to find the new, corresponding URLs under
www.ifla.org.

---Will the address for the mailing lists change?---

The address change applies ONLY to the Web site. The
address for IFLA mailing lists, such as IFLA-L, DIGLIB,
and LIBJOBS, has not changed. These lists are supported
on a separate mailserver named infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca. Thus,
the address for IFLA-L, for example, remains
IFLA-L at infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca.

---How do I change the old URLs to the new URLs?---

Even though the IFLANET Web site is on a different
server, its directory structure remains exactly the same.
Thus, changes to IFLANET URLs can be done very
simply, in a consistent and systematic manner. To change
IFLANET URLs from the old form to the new form,
simply replace

    www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/

 with

    www.ifla.org/

All other parts of the URL remain the same.

---What is an example?---

For example, the URL for the Section on Information
Technology under the old scheme is:

    http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/VII/s21/sit.htm

 Using the new name, it is:

    http://www.ifla.org/VII/s21/sit.htm

Notice that the Web server address is changed to
www.ifla.org and that the /ifla/ sub-directory has been
removed.

---What should I change?---

Please make sure that all of your bookmarks and links have
been updated to reflect the new address. When referring to
IFLANET in publications---whether on paper or online---
please use the new address. On IFLANET itself, you will
notice that all references to www.nlc-bnc.ca/ifla/ have been
changed to www.ifla.org.

---Who should I contact if I have questions?---

Gary Cleveland
IFLANET Coordinator
gary.cleveland at udt.ifla.org