[WEB4LIB] re: e-mail access

Gilles Poitras gpoitras at ggu.edu
Wed Oct 14 16:46:41 EDT 1998

Regarding the number of responses this thread has gotten, I think it great
that people are willing to discuss this.

There are situations in which email is very usful, there are also libraries
that have the facilities to allow such use without restrictions.

Then there are libraries like ours where often students have to wait for a
terminal to be available. We have computer labs that I have never seen full
which students can use for email, we ask them to do so. While our policy is
no email we do not stop people from emailing search results to themselves.
I usually tell students who I catch using email that we don't allow it but
that they should finish the message they are working on.

One final note.

When writing a long posting please place extra returns between paragraphs,
its very hard to read a large block of text on a monitor.

Gilles Poitras	gpoitras at ggu.edu
Golden Gate University - University Library