[WEB4LIB] Re: Email, chat, etc.

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Wed Oct 14 15:14:28 EDT 1998

        Exactly what we did - then more budget money came and gave us new
machines, so we pushed the old 8088 and 286 machines off to surplus and
moved the older 486s in to take their place. Thanks to our Librarian, who
fought for years for extra computer money, we now have 300+ public
computers, all running Windows 3.11 or W95 and networked, enough for the
students to do valid research as well as bozo websurfing. But we used to
have almost 40 old machines capable only of telnet, which ran our catalog
and email (our university gives out free 4mg Unix accounts) as well as chat
and MUD, and we ruthlessly sent emailers and chatters over there to keep the
research machines free. We have a smaller area dedicated to research via
Lexis-Nexis and Georgia's Galileo databases, and we boot emailers and
fun-surfers out when it gets crowded, but they can easily go downstairs, or
to other campus labs. We've also got vcrs and stereos where students can
view movies in private carrels . . . or listen to the Firesign Theatre.
        The bottom floor of Henderson Library is filled with networked
computers, and since we allow food (AWAY from the computers) and loud
talking it rivals the actual student center for social activity. A few
machines are un-networked and open to allow personal CDs to be run. Three
years ago we had time limits and 'show your I.D.' and one laser printer at a
nickel a page - now there are almost enough machines unless it's exam week
and printing is free to multiple laser printers.
        . . .and we have three typewriters, and lots and lots of books.

At 09:17 AM 10/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Why not set up that old UNIX system with its dozens of serial ports, all
>those old dumb terminals, and Pine in an email room? Just a thought.
>
>Regards,
>...Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

+=============================+   +============================+
 Stephen S. Hooley                                          "When the going
gets
 Romulan Tech Support                                      weird, the weird

 Systems Group                                                 turn pro."

 Henderson Library                                                     --
Hunter S. Thompson
 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460             My World -
www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss                                        Lord
Ruthven Assembly - Vampire Scholars http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/LRA