[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 14 11:25:22 EDT 1998

More than once, when I've travelled out of town, I've stopped into a local
P.L. to use an Internet workstation to access my
e-mail.  Granted, I'm not a local taxpayer in that community, but I
contribute its economic health of that community by paying for food,
lodging, etc.  I live in a FL community which hosts plenty of tourists and
snowbirds.  And as a former public librarian and library board member here,
I would never begrudge folks the use of the Internet for e-mail.  Let 'em
sign up for their half hour or hour of access and do with it what they will.

(I might add that many of our snowbirds contribute time and money to the
local library system...)

Those public librarians who would begrudge the use of Internet access for
what they deem to be "frivolous" reasons --
e-mail, chat, games, etc. -- might also want to consider weeding their
collections of all "frivolous" items (romance novels, thrillers, People
magazine, "action movie" videotapes, popular music CDs...)

I can't speak for academic librarians, who work in institutions with a
completely different mission.

Shirl (give the people what they want) Kennedy
Internet Waves columnist
Information Today
Best Bet Internet
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0838907121/002-3206652-8002207

Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

>Why should the library be in the phone service business?  I have to say.
That
>since the Internet has raised so many interesting questions, we have heard
less
>issue regarding the image of the librarian.  Again.  Where does it all end?
Is