[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

Carl Ratz cratz at mainex1.asu.edu
Wed Oct 14 11:26:50 EDT 1998

Don't forget to provide stamps to patrons who use snail mail.

I think you have to look at what the needs of your clients are.
I see at least two types. Those that do research and those that use the
library as a recreation. Both these types are equally important.
Professor X needs live chat to discuss some research to a colleague on an
important break through they just found in a book at the library.
Professor Y is looking at how certain games use logic against users. If the
library provided the board game he might have checked it out, but he found
what he needed on the Net.

The point being, some libraries want to limit the use of their library to
the type they feel is the best one for their users. Research or Recreation.
I say let the user decide what they would like their library to do to serve
them instead of the library telling the user what they can be served.

Libraries have to learn to be all things to all users.
(not an easy task but its worth a try)

Granted some of the libraries are poor. They need to find a good working
solution to meet the average needs of the library user.

Networking is a good thing. It is providing what your budget could not.

my 2.7 cents

Carl Ratz                               *
cratz at mainex1.asu.edu       *
                                              *