E-mail in libraries

bboru at si.umich.edu bboru at si.umich.edu
Tue Oct 13 22:07:52 EDT 1998

Perhaps one point that needs to be considered, amidst all the clamor of
being a good citizen and adhering to rules, etc., is that the privileges
of scrupulous users may be sacrificed in the interest of thwarting an
onslaught of transgressions. As for myself, there have been times, while
doing 'legitimate' research (as defined by the library) when I've had to
make quick reference to my e-mail account by using 'illegitimate' means.
Am I to be castigated for circumventing a policy which clearly didn't
anticipate such use? Maybe so. Uniform adherence to policies does, in a
sense, provide common access for all parties. On the other hand,
Internet access in libraries is still relatively new, and many such policies
are works in progress.

Allowing unrestricted access in all situations is probably untenable, but
-- as in the case of free speech -- I think it is worth suffering a large
measure of abuse in order to avoid depriving responsible use by those who
need it.

Brian Sheppard
321 8th St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48103