[WEB4LIB] E-mail in libraries

Wilfred Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Tue Oct 13 16:31:13 EDT 1998

I must disagree with your assumptions about e-mail in libraries.  We do not
allow students or other patrons to use e-mail on our public machines.  It is
a question of scarce resources not restricting a valuable use of a tool.
All students have access to e-mail in our computer labs all over campus.  We
have also just started being a ThinkPad University as a trial program.
Currently over 100 students have thinkpads.  In the fall another 500 will
have them.  Even after all students and faculty have laptops, we will
continue to prohibit the use of e-mail on our public machines.  This is the
real world, not library school or an ALA conference.

--
Bill Drew
DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU