[WEB4LIB] Re: Paint Shop Pro Transparent Images

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Oct 8 17:23:24 EDT 1998

It loooks like all that paintshop does is give you a one color background to
simulate transparent backgrounds which is okay if you have a solid color
background already on your WEB page.  But, on our page we use a watermark which
can be seen under the menu text using Photoshop or Photoline with a true
transparent background.

mtcw
Thomas

NCM Ross wrote:

> Kitty,
>
> I have had reliable results getting transparent gif images in
> Paint Shop Pro 3 and 4 and 5.  In PSP 5, open the image,
> select the Colors menu and select set palette transparency.
> In the menu box choose "set transparency to current background
> color". Click okay. Then use the eyedropper tool to select the color
> you want to be transparent. Right click the eyedropper tool on that
> color (e.g. on the white background). That makes the selected color the
> "background".  Thensave the image in gif format. Choose file, save as.
> The choose Compuserve Graphics Interchange (gif). Then in the save-as
> box click on options. Select  version 89a. Click okay.  That should do
> it.
>
> If you have version 4, the procedure is very similar. The exception is,
> don't
> use the Colors menu. Click on File, the Preferences. Then choose file
> format
> preferences. Then click in GIF. The click on "set transparency value to
> background
> color". Then do the same thing with the eyedropper tool as described above.
>
> Nancy
> ------------------------------
> NCM Ross, Ph.D. University of Chicago 1983, Human Development
> Graduate Student, SLIS University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
> http://www.uwm.edu/People/ncm2/index.html
> Research Consultant, Office of Research and Evaluation, Alverno College
> Email: nmuch at execpc.com;  Email: ncm2 at csd.uwm.edu

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit operating
system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine