Mini Library Web Provider Survey

Alicia Abramson alicia at newton.library.american.edu
Thu Oct 1 11:44:18 EDT 1998

I am writing a general article about some of the challenges librarians face in providing our end users with Web access and would appreciate any responses to a few questions I've been thinking about.  I know it takes time to respond to things like this so I've tried to keep it short.  Please respond to me directly.

1.  How do you handle plug-in/helper app. management?  (e.g., keeping up with the latest releases, adding plug-ins that have become necessary, and deciding whether or not to support a particular plug-in).

2.Do you track usage of the Web in your library in any way?

3.Do you track usage of paid subscripiton resources (like Firstsearch or UMI for example) and how do you do that?  (Do any libraries have arrangements with Web database providers to receive usage reports?)

4.  Do you have separate computers that are designated 'OPAC only' or which allow access only to library owned/selected resources, and if so, what is your observation about how this is working out?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to do this.

Alicia Abramson
Head, Library Systems
American University
Washington, DC 20016