Javascript for identifying users

Greg D. Schmitz schmitz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG
Fri Oct 16 16:43:33 EDT 1998

Hello Web4Lib'ers

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message a few days ago about
authenticating various databases.  I've got a new, narrower question
that can hopefully solve our problem in the short term.

We are looking for a Javascript that could be written into the HTML of a
page that would request a "User ID" and limit access to resources based
on the first range numbers of the number.  The beginning of each library
card number in our system identfies what library the card is from.
We're looking for a script that would identify that the card number
matches the range of numbers that have access to a certain page (which
would be the login pages for specific vendor databases).

For example, let's say all of our library card numbers that start with
1222200 are for the Twostown Public Library and all of the library cards
that start with 1333300 are for the Threestwon Public Library.  The
Javascript I'm looking for would allow a Twostown person to use the
databases, based on them entering a library card number like
1222200943287, but people with card numbers like 1333300084339 would not
work.

Obviously, this solution is "hackable", but it would still work for the
short term.

The reason I am asking for a Javascript solution, rather than the
CGI/Perl solutions usually mentioned for this kind of password
protection is that our server is not currently able to handle CGI, and
so we need to find a "browser side" solution to the problem rather than
a "server side" solution.

Does anyone know of such a Javascript?

Greg

--
Greg D. Schmitz                         | email:
schmitz at winnefox.org
Reference Librarian                     | Phone:        (920) 236-5205
Oshkosh Public Library                  | Alt. Phone:   (920) 236-5204
Oshkosh, WI 54901                       | Fax:          (920) 236-5227
http://axp.winnefox.org/www/