Using science fiction to promote science learning

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Mon Oct 12 00:22:04 EDT 1998

>From my friend David Brin, the science fiction author (who welcomes copying of
this information to other relevant lists and such):

A session will be held at LOSCON, at the Burbank Airport Hilton, on
Saturday November 28th (Thanksgiving weekend). There will be general
discussions of ways to connect science fiction to the needs of teachers,
students, and academics.
We will also launch a program in the Los Angeles area to hold
reading/writing/art contests for kids, leading to prizes that will be
awarded at NASFIC next August. This follows the example that was set last
year in Baltimore. Volunteers are desperately needed. We especially need
the names of school teachers and librarians in the LA and Orange County
areas who are friendly to science fiction and might want to get involved.
Please attend the meeting if you possibly can, and recruit or drag along
some teachers and librarians for this valuable effort.
For further information about LOSCON and NASFIC please see the following
websites.
www.99.nasfic.org
www.lasfs.org/loscon25
If you are member of a fan organization and it doesn't have an
outreach/literacy/schools/recruitment-oriented program... why the hell
not????
=============
(2) I am contemplating the idea of establishing an annual cash prize for
the best web-based site aimed at connecting science fiction literature to
the needs of a school curriculum. For an example of how this has been done
in the past, with great effectiveness, see the following site based on The
Postman:
http://postman.cosmic.org
The same author (himself a High School teacher) created another site
centered on The Martian Chronicles.
It may be late to announce this contest/prize in time for people to
complete their sites by NASFIC however I hope to be able to award something
at that convention and follow it up in subsequent years. The cash amount
is yet to be determined but it should be a nice little sum to encourage a
vigorous contest. Discussion of the details will take place at LOSCON.
Your ideas are welcome.